Why does my baby sleep with his eyes open? This might be one of the concerns that you may face as a new mother.
Having welcomed your little bundle of joy into this world, you have obviously been very excited and busy since the day he arrived in your life. Your days are spent trying to do everything best for your little one. It is obvious to be conscious and worried about your newborn.
Most mothers complain about their baby’s sleeping habits. One habit that particularly disturbs mothers is when they see babies sleeping with eyes open. If you’ve been worrying about something like this too, this article will tell you why babies sleep with their eyes open.
Why Do Babies Sleep With Their Eyes Open?
Your baby sleeping with the eyes open is a much more common occurrence than you may think. While it does not denote keeping the eyes wide open, it is more of a condition where the eyes look almost open.
Here are two reasons that should give you a better understanding on why babies prefer sleeping while their eyes are open.
According to a couple of researchers, sleeping with eyes open among babies can be a hereditary problem. If you or your partner has a habit of sleeping with your eyes open, there is a possibility that your baby is going to inherit that behavior from you!
2. Medical Conditions:
The second reason is not very popular and hardly occurs. Some doctors have stated that sleeping with eyes open could be a sign of facial nerve damage, different kinds of tumors or even thyroid problems. If you notice your baby sleeping with eyes open for a long time at a stretch, go ahead and consult a doctor. That should help.
Is It Harmful If Your Baby Sleeps With Eyes Open?
Does your baby sleep with eyes open, is it looking odd at times? But don’t worry as it is normal and safe.
- Doctors confirmed that sleeping with open eyes is no cause for worry or harm.
- Doctors have often said that sleeping with the eyes open occurs during REM. This is a very active stage of a baby’s sleeping cycle.
- Babies tend to spend much more time in REM than adults do. This covers around 50% of the total sleeping time of your little one.
What Should You Do About This?
To help you make your baby sleep properly, here are a few tips that can help:
- If your baby’s habit of sleeping with open eyes is getting troublesome for you both, gently stroke his eyelids until they are closed.
- Make sure your little one has completely fallen asleep before you do this.
- If your toddler continues to exhibit this sleeping habit even after 18 months, it is a good idea to consult a pediatrician.
- This kind of sleep habit will still turn out to be a perfectly normal issue, although rare cases may show an eyelid malformation.
- Try not to stress over the matter as it is hardly something threatening.
Your baby will outgrow this habit by the time he or she is between 12 to 18 months of age. You may find it abnormal, but babies can experience sound sleep even with their eyes open.
If you are still worried about your baby in regard to the sleeping habit, visit a health expert and talk about it. Sleeping with eyes open is a common thing among infants and no cause of trouble at all. If it does not bother them, don’t let it bother you.
We hope you have a better understanding on why do babies sleep with their eyes open now. Please feel free to leave your comments below, we love hearing from you.
10 Most Common Reasons Why Babies Wake Up At Night
The first year and a half is usually the worst phase of sleeplessness at night for the newborn and so the toughest phase for new moms as they struggle to cope with the maternal duties round the clock.
Does your baby also wake up suddenly in the middle of the night despite your best efforts to avoid it? If you are still clueless as to why this could be happening, read on to know what could potentially be the cause.
Why Babies Wake At Night?
Here are some very common reasons that could be causing baby suddenly waking up at night:
- If your baby is feeling too hot or cold
- If there is an intrusive light that is affecting your baby’s sleep
- If there is any sudden noise that affects baby at night
- If your baby was recently ill
- If there is a change in your baby’s routine, like a vacation
- If your baby has just learnt a new motor or developmental skill and is trying it out at night
- If your baby is about to reach a new milestone
- If your baby is used to sleeping with a bottle or pacifier
- If your baby is used to sleeping with a rocking or swinging motion
- If your baby is not properly fed before bed
How Do I Prevent Baby Waking In The Night?
Whether your baby has always been waking up in the middle of the night or only recently doing so, it is possible to change the habit. Here are a few things you can try out to avoid babies waking in the night and ensures tight sleeps through the night:
1. Proper Temperature And Dress:
Ensure that the temperature in your baby’s room is comfortable. It should not be too hot or too cold for your baby. Dress your baby according to the weather and the temperature inside the room.
2. Maintain A Routine:
Babies find it very difficult to adjust to a sudden change in routine. If your baby is used to falling asleep at a particular time at night, make sure you follow the pattern every day. Try and maintain your baby’s bedtime rituals as much as you can, even if the baby is away from home. This will help your baby know that it is time for bed.
3. Tummy Full:
If your baby is full before falling off to sleep, chances of waking up in the middle of the night will be lesser. Ensure your baby has a healthy and filling dinner before sleep creeps in. Healthy eating is also important throughout the day as tummy trouble too could be the cause of his disturbed sleep. If your baby has fallen asleep without eating, you may try to wake up the baby by gently calling out his name.
4. Stop Those Midnight Play Sessions:
Avoid playing, talking, or doing any fun activity with your baby at odd hours. If your baby starts getting bored, chances of him falling back to sleep sooner will be more. Simply be there with your little one so that he feels calm and can fall back to sleep.
Hope by now you are clear that why babies wake at night. Do not worry too much about the baby’s nocturnal activity. Remember that waking up in the middle of the night is restricted to your baby’s first few years only. While most babies learn to sleep through the night sometime during the first year itself, others may take slightly longer.
Moms, how did you manage to make your baby sleep through the night? Do share your tips here with other moms.
7 Best Swaddle Blankets For Your Baby & Tips On Swaddling Baby
There are very few things that can replace a mother’s warmth. Swaddling is one such thing.
Who wouldn’t love to see their babies have a peaceful sleep? A sleep-deprived baby can be quite a handful. Moreover, if the sleeping patterns are maintained properly, the baby would grow well, physically and mentally.
Confused why we suddenly moved from swaddling to sleep? It’s because they are interlinked. Infants sleep better if they are swaddled. MomJunction gives you some much-needed information on how to swaddle a baby and would help you buy amazing swaddling blankets that can keep your baby warm and give him some much needed calm time. Also, check out our tips on swaddling and safety precautions.
What Is A Swaddling Blanket?
So, what are these swaddling blankets? The blankets recreate the environment that was in the womb. They give the baby the perfect warmth and comfort needed to sleep better. Plus, you have peace of mind.
Best Swaddle Blankets For Newborns:
Swaddling blankets come in various materials. The best, however, is muslin or cotton. If you are on the lookout for a good swaddling blanket for your infant, your search ends now! Here are the best baby swaddle blankets to choose from:
1. Bebemooi Sleephack
Buy Bebemooi Sleephack: 100% Cotton Natural Sleeved Sleeper (Medium, Blue) For ₹10,648 @ www.amazon.in
Made from 100% cotton material, this amazing sleep bag ensures that your baby gets the perfect sleep in the coziest atmosphere.
With a zipper all the way through, this bag mimics the atmosphere in the womb. The pajamas make the baby comfortable, and the bag gives the baby enough room to move his legs. Travel-friendly and easy to clean, the material of this bag makes air exchange easy and regulates the temperature as well.
2. Aden + Anais Muslin Swaddle Blankets:
Buy Aden Anais Muslin Swaddle Blankets For ₹ 6,380 @ www.amazon.in
Most new mothers swear by this product! These blankets come in two sizes – 42” x 42” and 47” x 47”. So, make sure to order the right size. These swaddling blankets are light, yet they keep the little one warm. They are made of 100% cotton. The more you wash, the softer the blanket will become. Yes, these blankets are not the cutest in the market, but they do get the job done!
3. Halo Sleepsack Swaddle:
Buy Halo Sleepsack Swaddle For ₹ 2,648 @ www.amazon.in
The Halo Sleepsack Swaddle comes in two varieties: 100% polyester version and 100% cotton version. They also come in three sizes: preemie, newborn and small. These swaddles have a zipper and Velcro, making them easy to use.
If you are uncomfortable with the whole swaddling process, the Halo Sleepsack Swaddle is the perfect for you!
4. Summer Infant SwaddleMe:
Buy Summer Infant Swaddle Me For ₹ 4145 @ www.amazon.in
Just like the Halo, the Summer Infant SwaddleMe also comes with a Velcro design. But the one thing most mothers love about these swaddles is their design. If you are looking for colorful designs, go for the Summer Infant SwaddleMe. These blankets come in two sizes: small/medium and large. If you want a swaddle that is easy to use and looks cute, this is your best bet!
5. Miracle Blanket:
Buy Miracle Blanket For ₹ 11,329 @ www.amazon.in
If you are a swaddling pro, this product will ‘speak’ to you. The Miracle Blanket does not use any zipper or Velcro. Instead, they use a unique and complicated wrapping process. The wrapping process involves elaborate steps and may seem confusing to some. But most mothers have only good things to say about the Miracle swaddling blanket. The only downside is that it does not come in different sizes. It also does not boast of cute designs but keeps wiggly infants safe and warm!
Buy Woompie For ₹ 2166 @ www.amazon.in
This is one of the best swaddle blankets for moms who like to keep things simple. Just put your baby in and zip it up! It comes with a stretchy fabric that allows your infant to move around and be comfortable.
Buy SwaddlePod For ₹ 1529 @ www.amazon.in
Just like the Woompie, the Swaddlepod, too, is a no-fuss swaddle blanket. It is ideal for newborns and prevents startle reflex that can wake your baby up.
After looking at the above options, you might get a crucial doubt: “Why should I use a swaddle, at all?”
Why Is Swaddling Important?
Besides what we did mention above, let us quickly check these points out (1).
- Keeps the baby comfortable and calm by giving him a womb-like experience and atmosphere.
- Places the arms tightly towards the sides thus preventing a startling reflex, which not just wakes babies up from their slumber but could also increase the heart rate. As the arms are held close together even if the baby gets startled, he wouldn’t wake up suddenly.
- Maintains the right temperature, much like the baby was used to in the womb. Swaddling blankets made of muslin or cotton cloths ensure good air circulation and the right temperature.
- Prevents suffocation unlike loose blankets, which could lead to Sudden Infant Death.
Swaddle blankets are important, but what is equally important is the process of using them. Learning to swaddle your baby could take a few (read two to three attempts). You have to ensure that the baby is comfortable while you’re swaddling him. We know you will surely appreciate some help here.
How To Swaddle Your Baby?
While this isn’t rocket science, you have to consider a few things when swaddling the baby: his comfort is number one on the list, his willingness to be swaddled is number two and then the material and thickness of the blanket. Let’s know how to swaddle a baby.
1. Choose your blanket:
- Consider the shape (should be square), size (preferably 40×40”), the material of the blanket, and the elasticity of the blanket.
- The blanket could be a little (but not very) stretchable. This would help you wrap the baby nicely.
2. Fold the blanket:
- Fold the blanket in a diamond shape from the top corner of the blanket.
- The fold should be as long as your baby is.
3. Place the baby on the blanket:
- Once the fold is made, place the baby on it.
- Make sure that the baby’s neck and face are above the fold.
- Support the neck while you are swaddling the baby.
4. Fold the baby’s arms:
- One way could be to hold the baby’s arms around his sides. This way, the arms would outline the baby’s sides.
- Another way is to fold the hands over the tummy to replicate the posture in the womb.
- Whatever way you use, make sure that the baby is comfortable.
5. Wrap a side:
- Hold the blanket on the side of one arm and tuck it in the downward direction under the fist of the other arm.
- The blanket should be tucked in such a way that it holds the baby’s arm in place.
6. Close the bottom:
- Once one arm is adjusted and swaddled, close the bottom of the swaddle.
- The section, which is left at the bottom, should be folded towards the upward direction near the baby’s neck. The side should be the one where you just tucked the baby.
7. Wrap the second arm:
- Just like the first arm, adjust the other arm and wrap it around.
- This should come over the fold that you made from the bottom of the swaddle.
- Cross it on the downward opposite side.
8. Tuck the left over:
- The left-over blanket from the second arm should be flipped over from the legs to the top in such a way that it forms a V-neck.
- Tuck it under the shoulder of the first arm. You may have to lift the baby up a bit to complete the final tuck of the swaddle.
Things to remember:
- Give the baby enough leg space and make sure that the baby can move his legs inside the swaddle. Bad swaddling could sometimes lead to hip dysplasia if the swaddle does not have enough room for the baby’s feet.
- Do not tighten the swaddle. A tighter swaddle does not mean the baby is comfortable. You should only make the baby feel warm, not suffocated.
- Once the swaddle is done, check for air circulation and monitor the baby’s temperature.
At last, we know how to make our tiny fellas comfortable. But it doesn’t end here. There are still a couple of things you could take home!
For How Long Can I Swaddle My Baby?
And by that we mean the age until which you can swaddle the baby. It is best to swaddle your baby until three or four months, but some parents prefer to do it for a good nine months.
While most doctors recommend swaddling until four to six months, they also agree that there is no harm in extending it. The idea is to make your baby feel relaxed and comfortable while sleeping.
Once your baby gets used to sleeping without a swaddle, then you can do away with it. And how would you know when to wean your baby off a swaddle? The best way is put one arm off the swaddle. If your baby isn’t sleeping well and seems irritable, he is not ready yet. So wrap the baby back. After nine months, make conscious attempts to wean the baby off the swaddle.
When Should You Avoid Swaddling?
Swaddling is not suitable in all the cases. You need to avoid swaddling at times:
- Hip dysplasia is an abnormal bone formation in the hip section. Because of the abnormality, the bone does not fit well in the socket. If your baby has this, do not swaddle him. Check with your doctor and make sure that the baby is swaddle-ready.
- Avoid swaddling when the baby is not sleeping but trying to play or move. While this may seem logical, the idea is to swaddle the baby only when you are trying to calm him or put him to bed.
Risks Of Swaddling:
Swaddling is comfortable both for the baby and you, but it is not free of risks. This does not mean that we are discouraging you from swaddling your baby, but we just want you to be more careful. The two major risks involved are:
While swaddling prevents Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), it may also promote it. Confused? If you do not swaddle the baby properly, and the folds are too close to the baby’s neck (thereby obstructing the windpipe), there are chances of SIDS. So make sure that you’re swaddling the baby correctly and leaving enough room near the neck region.
2. Lack of “arousal”:
A lot of babies lose their ability of arousal if they are swaddled for too long. This means they wouldn’t know when to wake up. While many parents want their babies to get a good sleep, babies should be swaddled for a limited time only.
An infant needs around 12-16 hours of sleep every day. And you need at least seven! A swaddling blanket can ensure enough sleep for you both. But, make sure that you get it right!
Have you thought of using a swaddling blanket? Are you already using one? Why don’t you review the brand for us? Just type in your views in the comments section below.
Is It Safe To Take Caffeine While Breastfeeding?
Giving in to all your food cravings can be an issue when you are breastfeeding because what goes into your...
Your Personal Parenting Style and Your Child’s Sleep
Good mothers and fathers come in many styles. Each one of us has different strengths, interests, and values that make...
Baby Sleep3 years ago
10 Best Sleep Cues For Your Baby
Baby Development3 years ago
Overstimulation In Babies – Causes, Signs, And Prevention
Baby Problems3 years ago
Sleep Talking and Sleepwalking in Children
Baby Problems3 years ago
Baby Crying 101
Baby Clothing3 years ago
Baby R Us: One Stop Baby Shop
Baby Safety3 years ago
4 Simple Steps To Treat Burns In Infants/ Babies
Baby Development3 years ago
Why Do Some Babies Crawl Backwards?
Baby Breastfeeding3 years ago
Is It Safe To Take Antidepressants While Breastfeeding?